Current Job Postings at FriesenPress
FriesenPress is made up of a dynamic group of people. We're writers, editors, philosophers, photographers, filmmakers, dancers, musicians, artists, athletes, actors and entrepreneurs. What do we all have in common? We love stories!
FriesenPress is a division of Friesens Corporation, an award-winning North American leader in the book printing industry. In business since 1907, Friesens provides book-manufacturing services in the United States and Canada, with 25 million books printed every year, including original editions of the popular Harry Potter series and the classic Oxford Dictionary. Recognized over the years with numerous prestigious international awards, including Canada's Top 50 Best Managed Companies, for book quality and management leadership.
As a Canadian Self-Publisher, FriesenPress helps authors realize their dream of publishing their book. Our suite of products include various publishing packages containing a wide range of services including editing, book layout and design, channel distribution and marketing expertise. We pride ourselves in making “A Better Book”. Our shared culture, values and beliefs have been the foundation of our approach to customers, employees and the community at large.
At FriesenPress, we are constantly looking for individuals who constantly raise their personal bar and thrive when achieving outstanding results. We want to hire people who are eager to learn, but also people we can learn from - people who can increase the overall effectiveness of the organization. If you feel that your personal and professional values align with ours, we invite you to join the FriesenPress family!
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
We are currently looking for a Book Designer for our Downtown Victoria office. We offer an attractive package of benefits, including:
- Hourly wage: $15.20
- Extended medical and dental benefits
- Group RRSP with matching contributions.
- Excellent opportunities for career development.
Are you passionate about the publishing industry and looking to apply your exceptional graphic design skills in an awesome, supportive team environment?
As a Publishing Services company, FriesenPress is looking for a creative individual who has a passion for books, design, and working alongside an eclectic group of people to help bring our clients’ projects (books!) to fruition.
In this position, you will be responsible for the creation of our authors’ books, from initial assessment to final print and eBook file production. This diverse role will enable you to use your design and customer abilities in order to ensure your author receives a top-quality product.
If this sounds like the ideal position for you, we want to talk to you!
*Disclaimer: applicants must love dogs, trivia tournaments, and food. Proficiency in some kind of instrument is a bonus, as we like to be serenaded during staff events.
- Accountability and Dependability
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Customer Focus
- Resiliency and Energy
- Quality Orientation
- Team Work
- Time Management
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a high level of customer satisfaction throughout a high touch publishing process by producing professionally designed books, including covers and interiors.
- Collaborate with the account managers to ensure that the execution of the author’s vision meets or exceeds their expectations while adhering to professional standards of book design.
- Consistently follow design guidelines to produce files ready for print and eBook output.
- Perform pre-flighting of press-ready files, checking for quality and correctness of colors, fonts, and graphics.
- Manipulate supplied files, including photo adjustments and enhancements, color space conversions and output of working files to .pdf format.
- Maintain high standards while ensuring that production schedules and prepress service standards are strictly followed.
- Review author materials for completeness and compliance with guidelines; resolve compliance issues in collaboration with the account managers.
- Assess design complexities in author files and communicate the results of assessment to Account Managers.
- Perform other job assignments as assigned.
- Ability to demonstrate advanced applied knowledge of Adobe's Creative Suite on a Mac with a focus on InDesign, as used for large documents.
- Keen understanding of the application of character and paragraph styles as they apply to use in Word and InDesign documents is a must.
- Excellent graphic design skills with portfolio of previous work.
- A passion for type, books and printed materials.
- High degree of professionalism with strong interpersonal and communication skills. You are a natural coach, able to breakdown and explain design concepts to employees and clients that are not familiar with design, in a way that is understandable for them.
- Demonstrated ability to offer world-class customer service, with a passion to go above and beyond customer expectations.
- Ability to make sound business judgments to meet customer and business goals in the most cost-effective way.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work as part of a team or independently as required.
- Excellent display of critical thinking and problem solving skills while upholding a high level of professionalism. Attention to detail a must.
- Possess strong administrative, organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Minimum two years of professional experience.
- Book publishing knowledge would be an asset.
- Post-secondary education in a related field is an asset
- Advanced computer literacy and prior use of CRM.
If you meet the above criteria and would like to apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume. We look forward to hearing from you!