Current Job Postings at FriesenPress
FriesenPress is made up of a dynamic group of people. We're writers, editors, philosophers, photographers, filmmakers, dancers, musicians, artists, athletes, actors and entrepreneurs. What do we all have in common? We love stories!
FriesenPress is a division of Friesens Corporation, an award-winning North American leader in the book printing industry. In business since 1907, Friesens provides book-manufacturing services in the United States and Canada, with 25 million books printed every year, including original editions of the popular Harry Potter series and the classic Oxford Dictionary. Recognized over the years with numerous prestigious international awards, including Canada's Top 50 Best Managed Companies, for book quality and management leadership.
As a Canadian Self-Publisher, FriesenPress helps authors realize their dream of publishing their book. Our suite of products include various publishing packages containing a wide range of services including editing, book layout and design, channel distribution and marketing expertise. We pride ourselves in making “A Better Book”. Our shared culture, values and beliefs have been the foundation of our approach to customers, employees and the community at large.
At FriesenPress, we are constantly looking for individuals who constantly raise their personal bar and thrive when achieving outstanding results. We want to hire people who are eager to learn, but also people we can learn from - people who can increase the overall effectiveness of the organization. If you feel that your personal and professional values align with ours, we invite you to join the FriesenPress family!
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Editing and Illustration Coordinator
We are currently looking for an Editing and Illustration Coordinator for our Downtown Victoria office. We offer an attractive package of benefits, including:
- Hourly wage: $14.14+ (subject to experience)
- Extended medical and dental benefits
- Group RRSP with matching contributions.
- Excellent opportunities for career development.
Are you passionate about the publishing industry and looking to apply your editing education and experience in a team environment?
As a Publishing Services company, FriesenPress is looking for a creative individual who has a passion for not only Editing & Illustrations, but for working along side an eclectic group of people, both in-house and remote, to develop our Editorial & Illustrative service department.
In this position, you will be coordinating and coaching seasoned Editors and Illustrators to maintain and exceed our service standards, ensuring the satisfaction of our client base – authors! In the office, you will be the go-to representative for all things Editing and Illustration.
And not to worry, this isn't simply a coordination position – you will also utilize your own editing prowess by acting as our in-house copy-editor, ensuring our company messaging and promotion copy reflects the quality we guarantee to our authors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Management and coordination of editorial and illustration processes including but not limited to: Editing, Data Entry, Indexing and Illustrations.
- Liaison for all contracted editorial, data entry, indexing and illustrator freelancers, providing ongoing communication, feedback and support.
- Acts as a resource person for implementation of policies, procedures and the training of FriesenPress employees as it relates to editorial and illustration processes.
- Coordinates the resolution of and tracks all issues relating to quality for editorial and illustration products. Provides immediate feedback on critical errors.
- Collects, reviews and analyzes key quality data – produces reports accordingly and as required. Apply this intelligence with the intention of creating consistency in processes, maximum efficiency and a knowledgebase to increase the expertise delivered to authors.
- Stay apprised of industry trends and developments in traditional publishing and self-publishing arenas and leverage this learning to guide in developing new products and strategy.
- Serve as an Author Account Manager escalation point for all editorial and illustration related issues.
- Support Leadership with all administrative aspects of managing a team including: recruitment, training, development, periodic evaluations and invoice payments.
- Perform any other editorial/illustration duties, management or administrative tasks as required.
- Post-secondary education with an editing certificate or accreditation or equivalent experience in a related position is a must.
- A member of a recognized editing association is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to offer world-class customer service in person, on phone and via email and a passion to go above and beyond customer expectations.
- Ability to make sound business judgments to meet customer and business goals in the most cost effective way for FriesenPress.
- Ability to identify challenging situations and communicate expectations to both internal and external parties.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work as part of a team or independently.
- Excellent display of critical thinking, creativity and innovation; administrative, organizational and time-management skills. Attention to detail a must.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Book publishing knowledge would be an asset.
- Computer literacy; prior use of CRM software would be an asset.
- Accountability and Dependability
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Customer Focus
- Energy and Stress
- Problem Solving
- Quality Orientation
- Team Work
- Time Management
If you meet the above criteria and would like to apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume. We appreciate all applications, but only those shortlisted will be contacted. We look forward to hearing from you!